Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Baths of Caracalla


Bravo: Two of my roommates and I decided to go on an adventure and see the Baths of Caracalla. The baths were built around 200 AD and are surprisingly still very intact in comparison to several of the other ruins we have tried to see. The ruins are huge, it is easy to imagine what the building must have looked like in all its splendor because the majority of the walls are still intact and there are fragments of the floors and wall mosaics scattered throughout the ruins. Bravo #2: My roommate Jami and I made bruschetta and it was delecious!

Bruto: On the way to the baths we realized we were going to pass the Circus Maximus. I thought this was going to be really cool, it is where chariot races used to be held. Sadly, all that is left is a big divot in the ground with an abundance of weeds. Bruto #2: we started measuring our space for our new project which is designing a retail space. All of the buildings are super old here and I'm not quite sure they were capable of producing a right angle back in the day. All of the spaces we have measured thus far are not square and none of the walls are square. This will make for an interesting plan drawing. Bruto #3: the bruschetta though delecious delivered some wicked heart burn!

Interessante: Due to the fact that I have been eating gelato like it has been going out of style, and that I like to run a few times a week I decided to join a gym. I don't think many Italians work out or perhaps they always do so inside becuase I don't think I have ever recieved so many perverse looks before in my life when walking to the gym this morning in my work out attire. It was as if I were a three headed monser or something. Interessante #2: As we walked through the baths all of us began to wonder, what did they wear to a bath house like this? The conclusion: they must have gone naked. I'm sure it wasn't awkward at the time, but the though of being naked with hundreds of other bathers made us all squirm a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment