Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Craic Time in Ireland


Can this post just be one big Bravo? I just spent the most amazing weekend in Dublin.

Bravo: On Friday my roommates and I took a tour through the Irish country side, which was breathtaking. It was everything I had imagined the Irish country to be and more. Everything was so lush in comparison to Rome, which has almost no foliage. Our tour started with breakfast at an adorable breakfast/clothing shop, then brought us into the rolling hills covered in a light fog, where the Irish once collected turf ( similar to coal) before the weather changed. Next we stopped and looked at the Guinness estate, lastly drove on to walk through a graveyard that boasts the worlds oldest Celtic cross, and walked through a wooded path to look out over two lakes. That evening we stopped into the Temple Bar and had a pint. On Saturday I toured the city on a city walking tour, we saw everything from Saint Stevens Green to the layout of an ancient viking home (who we found out actually never had horns on their helmits) . After our walk we stopped for lunch and toured the Guinness storehouse. The whole experience was sublime.

Bruto: I had to leave Ireland, and to make the matter worse my flight was at 7am.

Interessante: After spending some time in Ireland, my roommates and I noticed that several brochures and people using the term "craic", we could not figure out what this word meant. At Temple Bar I asked our bartender (who had the thickest accent I encountered)what the word meant. He told me craic means to have a good time. The whole trip to Ireland definitely was a craic time.

No comments:

Post a Comment